Thursday, December 13, 2012

Patience is a virtue ... and a hiccup stopper

A post from The Daddy Man:

Kimmy's been putting in a lot of late hours at work, so Biscuit and I have had dinner on our own. Tonight, we went to the pancake restaurant, and as we left, I got a terrible case of the hiccups. I don't get hiccups very often, but when I do, they're pretty powerful.

Kimmy called and said she was leaving work about 7:30, and she needed to stop by a couple of stores to pick up Christmas presents. I told her Biscuit and I would meet her and keep her company for her errands.

As we were talking on the phone, she heard my hiccups and asked me if I had tried holding my breath. I had, but it didn't work. Usually, the only thing that works for me is a spoonful of sugar. I'm not sure why it works, but if I swallow a spoonful or one of the coffee shop-type packets, my hiccups will disappear.

But I didn't have any sugar as Biscuit and I were driving toward the store.

"Dad," Biscuit said. "I have a plan to get rid of your hiccups."

"You do?" I said. "What's your plan?"

"Well," Biscuit said, "you can wait."

"That's the whole plan?" I asked him.

"Yep," he said. "When I have hiccups in my mouth, I just wait, and pretty soon, they go away."

No comments: