Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:


Twinkle, twinkle: "Mom, let's wish on a star," Biscuit said.

"Okay," I said. "Let's wish."

So Biscuit and I said, "Star light, star bright. First star, I see tonight. I wish I may. I wish I might. I wish my wish come true tonight."

"Now you have to make your wish," I said.

"Hmmm," Biscuit said. "I wish I could see something beautiful ... like a cowboy riding a horse on the range."


Night, night: It was time for Biscuit to go to bed. He rarely puts up a fuss about going to bed. Even on the weekends when it gets close to naptime, Biscuit will say, "Mom, I'm tired. Is it naptime yet?"

Just for fun last night, I pulled Biscuit into my lap and started fake whining and crying, saying, "I don't want to go to bed. Please don't make me go to bed. I don't want to."

Biscuit reached up and squeezed my cheeks between his hands.

"Mom," Biscuit said. "Mom. Look at me."

I looked up at him and with the most sincere face you've ever seen, he said, "Mom, it's okay. You have to go to bed because getting enough rest will give you energy so we can play tomorrow. You have to go to bed to get good rest."

"Are you going to bed?" I asked.

"Yep," he said. "I'm going to bed so I can get some good rest so I can play tomorrow. And that's what you should do, too."


Woof, woof: Biscuit spent this morning making a case for why we should get a dog.

And let me just state for the record that at this time, we are not getting a dog. Biscuit has been potty-trained for a year and two months, and I am perfectly fine not dealing with anyone or anything else's poop for a while. Plus, we take lots of weekend trips to my parents' house and other places that aren't always pet-friendly. A dog is a huge responsibility, and I don't take that lightly. And that's what we're telling Biscuit, too.

Anyway, Biscuit said to me, "Mom, I'm really sad about something."

"What are you sad about?" I asked.

"I'm sad because I don't have a dog or a cat or a fish or a bird that's my pet."

"I'm sorry you're sad about that," I said.

"Can I get a dog?" he asked.

"Not right now," I said. "Dogs are a big responsibility. Do you know what responsibility is?"

"Yeah," he said. "Responsibility is when you take care of your dog and play with him."

"That's right," I said. "You would have to feed a dog and take care of him and clean his poop out of the backyard."

"Eeeeeewwwww!" Biscuit said. But his negative feelings didn't last.

"But Mom," he said. "If I had a dog, I would love him and take care of him, and if he ever caught on fire, I would tell him to stop, drop and roll."

Jeff said, "Did our son just say he would set the dog on fire?"

"NOOOOOO, Dad!" Biscuit yelled. "That's not what I said!"

"Dad's just teasing you," I said. "Getting a dog is something we'll have to talk about again later."

No comments: