Tuesday, December 11, 2012

My boys

There are many things I love about my boys. The big boy I married, and the little boy I gave birth to. They both have the power to make my life better in any circumstance.

Including some stressful, not-so-great days at work.

I left the office about 7:15 this evening, and I was having quite the pity party.

My car is still in the shop (don't even ask). Work is ... well ... work is trying. My house is a wreck. And I'm just all around stressed out and exhausted.

In and amongst my whining, these are the things my boys did to make me feel better today (whether they meant to or not):

I'm 4 now: Any time you ask Biscuit how old he is, he says "4" but he also throws up four fingers. It looks almost like he's flashing a gang sign. It's just part of his process of saying how old he is.

When we got to daycare this morning, Biscuit started walking down the hall. All the kids from the 3-year-old class were lined up to go to the bathroom. When they saw Biscuit, they started yelling his name. They were clearly excited to see him. I guess it's like freshmen talking to the upperclassmen in high school. 

Anyway, they're yelling and yelling, and Biscuit throws his four fingers up and says, "NOOOO! I'm in the fours now!" and walks into his classroom.

Apparently, he's far too mature for the 3-year-olds. I didn't let him see me laughing, but I might just have to bring that boy down a notch!

I'll get the boy: We've had one car for a while now, but I had a shopping day planned for last Friday and really wanted to make it happen. So Jeff called our mechanic to see if he had a car we could rent.

"I have a car you can borrow," he said. We tried to take the car back yesterday, but the mechanic said for us to keep it until he gets my car done.

So when I needed to work late tonight, there wasn't much drama. Jeff said he'd go pick up Biscuit, and I could stay as late as I needed to. It was such a nice thing to know that there wouldn't be any back and forth picking up and that Jeff would take care of Biscuit.

I called to check in, and Jeff and Biscuit were on the way home. I looked at the clock and wondered what they had been up to. From the time on the clock, they didn't go straight home.

"Well, I took Biscuit to get his hair cut," Jeff said. "Then I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things, including milk, so you can have your cereal in the morning."

Jeff asked what time I was coming home, and I told him I wasn't sure, but I said I would call him on the way home.

I finally got to leave about 7:15. As soon as I got to the car, I put my headset in and called Jeff.

"I'm finally on the way home," I said.

"Tell me what you want for dinner, and I'll have it ready when you get here," he said.

No matter how bad my mood gets, my boys know exactly how to make it better.

No comments: