Saturday, December 8, 2012

A $25 lesson

A post from The Daddy Man:

Kimmy's car was in the shop last week, so when she had to work late, Biscuit and I were on standby to go pick her up.

I was expecting her to call the house when she was ready for us to head her way, so when the phone rang, I let Biscuit answer it.

Biscuit picked up the phone and said, "Hello?" Then there was a pause.

"It's me," Biscuit said. Then another pause.

"It's Griffin Sterling Mills," Biscuit said, plainly enunciating. "I'm playing with my fire trucks and watching TV." Then he just said, "Un-hunh" a couple of times.

Then he said, "Yeah, just my Dad. ... Yeah, here he is." And Biscuit handed me the phone.

I thought the whole time that it was Kimmy just messing with Biscuit. It was a good two- or three-minute conversation. But I got the phone and said, "Hello," and it was not Kimmy.

My college alma mater called to solicit a donation as part of its annual scholarship fundraising campaign, and the poor girl on the other end had been chatting it up with Biscuit. 

I figure I gave my college enough money while I was there, so I haven't made a contribution since I stopped making my student loan payments. In fact, they asked if I still worked at my last employer, and I haven't worked there in 13 years.

Partly out of guilt and partly because the caller was such a good sport in talking to the boy, I told them I would send them $25.

The lesson learned is that letting the boy answer the phone will probably cost me $25.

No comments: