Monday, December 17, 2012

Keeping the art without keeping the art

Biscuit creates lots of masterpieces at day care. And of course, I love every one of them. Well ... almost every one.

The problem is that I just don't have the room to keep every piece he does. Plus, some of his creations start to lose their pieces. We find little pieces of paper, noodles, stickers, glitter -- all kinds of things lying around on the floor as his artwork travels through the house.

So I decided to find a way to keep his artwork without KEEPING his artwork.

I took pictures of each piece and used a photo website to create a book. I made a book of the artwork he did in the 2-year-old class, and it came out really well. I used a different photo website this time, so the books would look different.

I think it turned out well, and Biscuit seems to like looking at it, too.

I took the book to Biscuit's daycare today. I wanted to show it to his teacher from the 3-year-old class to let her know that I appreciate what it takes to get projects like these done with squirmy little kids. It was fun to watch her flip through the book.

"I remember doing that," she said on one page.

"They had so much fun with that," she said, looking at another page.

When she looked back up at me, she had tears in her eyes. I'm glad I took it by to show her.




Here's the cover:



Here's the back cover:




And here are a few of the pieces I like the best:


The teacher put water color paint in ice trays and froze it.
Then the kids rubbed it around on the paper to paint.

This was made of spaghetti noodles, glitter and glue.



They made their thumbprints into ants around an ant hill.





No comments: