Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas travels

When I was a kid, my Mama made sure we were always home on Christmas Day. It was important to her that Santa would be able to find us at our own house, and then once we got up, we could spend the day playing with whatever wonderful goodies he brought us.

My family is scattered, but we always did our Christmas travels at Thanksgiving. We traded gifts with our extended family then, too. So come Christmas morning, it was just the four of us. We often had family over for Christmas lunch, but the morning was just for us.

I made that rule for my family when Biscuit was born. I loved being at home on Christmas when I was a kid, and I want to make an effort to give Biscuit that time, too.

So even though Christmas isn't even here yet, Jeff, Biscuit and I are done with our Christmas travels.

We left after work Friday night and drove 2 1/2 hours to my parents' house. We spent all day Saturday with my parents, my brother and his family. Then this morning, we got up and drove 3 hours to Jeff's brother's house. Jeff's parents are staying with them right now, so we saw them, too. And best of all for Biscuit, he got to spend time with his cousins. This is the only time of year when he can visit with all five of his cousins over the course of one weekend.

It's about a 1 1/2-hour drive home from Jeff's brother's house, and we just arrived safe and sound about 10:30 p.m. So I'll share more about our trip, but for now, it's bedtime.

Here's a picture of Biscuit in his Christmas outfit.

Biscuit is styling blue corduroys, a white long-sleeve
T-shirt and a festive vest that my Mama bought him. It features an
old-fashioned truck carrying a load of Christmas trees.

No comments: