Sunday, October 21, 2012

Out of the mouth of my babe

Here are a few things Biscuit has said recently:


Telling stories: Biscuit loves for us to tell him things he did when he was little.

Yes, I know he's still little, but he's come a long way, baby, and he likes it when Jeff and I reminisce. 

Yesterday evening, I told him a story about how he used to ask us what was our favorite animal.

"You couldn't say 'favorite animal' so you'd say, 'Mom, what's your fanimal?'" I told Biscuit.

"Mom, when I was a little baby, I was so silly," Biscuit said.


Poor grandmothers: For some reason, Biscuit has been blaming his Grandma and Grandmama for teaching him things lately. He even blamed Jeff's grandma the other day, a woman Biscuit never even met!

"He's a patootie head, Dad," Biscuit said.

"Patootie head?" Jeff said. "Where did you learn that word?"

"Um, I learned it from your Grandma, Dad," Biscuit said.

He'll do things he knows he's not supposed to do, then he'll say, "When I was at my Grandma's house, I learned how to do that."

We've got to watch those Grandmothers more carefully.


Full of bull: How do you explain to an almost 4-year-old that his friends are sometimes full of it?

Several of Biscuit's friends at day care have older siblings. And those siblings tell things to the younger kids. Then the younger kids tell things to Biscuit. And somewhere along the way, some of those things get a little altered in their truthfulness.

For example, Biscuit came home the other day and told me about a conversation between him and his friend Derwin (thankfully not the friend's real name).

"Mom, Derwin said that bampires will suck out all your blood," Biscuit announced with much authority.

"Hmmm," I said. "Well, first of all, it's vampire with a V. And secondly, vampires are made-up creatures for books, TV and movies. So there are no real vampires, which means they can't suck out all your blood."

"But that's what Derwin said, Mom," Biscuit said.

I considered trying to take a polite way out of the conversation, but finally, I just said, "Well, Derwin is wrong."

Then there was the conversation where John (another pseudonym) told Biscuit that minjas know karate. I had to set that one straight, too.

And on another day, John imparted more wisdom. "Mom, John said that firetrucks run their lights and sirens on the way back to the fire station from a fire," Biscuit said.

"Do you think that's true?" I asked Biscuit.

"No," he said. "They only run their lights and sirens on the way TO a fire."

"That's right," I told him. "That's how they do it. Just because somebody else says it's true, that doesn't automatically mean that it is. Okay?"

"Okay, Mom," Biscuit said. 

I know the day will come when my word won't count for as much as it does now, but I'm going to enjoy it while I still have the power.

No comments: