Thursday, October 11, 2012

Bad Dad

Biscuit and I got home from day care one day last week, and as he came in the door, he dropped two cars and a piece of artwork on the floor right in front of the door.
"Are these your things just dropped on the floor in front of the door?" I asked him.

He turned around, looked at the stuff and said, "Well DUH!"

I didn't know my eyebrows could go up that high!

"Excuse me?" I said.

"I said 'duh' to you, Mom," Biscuit said.

"I heard what you said, but I don't want to hear that again," I said to him in a stern voice. "That is not a nice thing to say to me or any other adult. Don't say it to me, Dad, any of your grandparents, any of your teachers or any other adults. Do you hear me?"

"I'm sorry, Mom," Biscuit said looking at the floor. "I didn't know, Mom."

"That's an okay thing to say to your friends, but don't say it to any adults, okay?" I said.

"Okay, Mom," Biscuit said. "I'm sorry.

I didn't hear anything else about it until the other night.

Jeff and Biscuit were sitting at the kitchen table when Biscuit said, "Well DUH, Dad."

And Jeff cracked up laughing. 

Yep. He laughed.

My eyebrows shot up again, and I couldn't figure out which one to glare at first.

"I told you not to say that to any adults, didn't I?" I said to Biscuit.

"Yes, ma'am," Biscuit said, throwing the "ma'am" in there, hoping to stay out of trouble. "But Dad laughed. Dad thought it was funny."

Then I turned my glare toward Jeff. 

"I scolded him last week and told him not to say that anymore, and you laughing at him is not backing me up," I said.

"I'm sorry," Jeff said, "but you should have warned me that he said it. I would've been prepared to hear it at some point."

There have been times when I've had to turn my head to keep from laughing at something Biscuit has said, too. But I still scolded Jeff for not backing me up.

Jeff did go back later and tell Biscuit not to say that to adults. We'll see how long it lasts.

No comments: