Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Happy birthday, Dad!

When I went up to get Biscuit this morning, I told him it was Jeff's birthday. My groggy son opened his eyes wide and stood straight up in his bed.

"Dad's birthday is TODAY?!?" Biscuit asked, with his voice going up about 10 octaves at the end of the question.

"Yep," I said. "Today is Dad's birthday."

"Can I sing to him?" Biscuit asked.

"Of course you can," I said.

As soon as we got downstairs, Biscuit ran to Jeff and started singing. Jeff got birthday cards, presents and a nice dinner out. And as interested in Jeff's birthday as Biscuit wanted to be, he couldn't get past the fact that his own birthday is coming soon.

I could see the wheels turning in Biscuit's head when he asked, "Mom, will I have presents for my birthday? Dad got presents for his birthday. Will I get presents for MY birthday?"

"Yes," I said. And Biscuit looked at me like he wanted more information.

"What will my presents be?" Biscuit asked.

"They will be a surprise," I said.

"How will I find out what they are, Mom?" Biscuit asked. "Will I have to unwrap them?"

"Yes," I said.

"Well, can you tell me what my presents will be?" Biscuit asked.

I actually could because I bought his birthday presents last month so I could start Christmas shopping this month. But of course I wasn't going to.

"If I tell you what your presents are, you won't have a surprise on your birthday," I said.

"Oh," Biscuit said with a sad face and much disappointment. "I guess I'll just wait, Mom."

Yes, he WILL wait!

"Today is Dad's day," I explained. "When it's your day, you can get a cupcake and some presents. But for today, let's tell Dad to have a happy birthday and that we love him, okay?"

"That's a good idea, Mom," Biscuit said.

No comments: