Monday, October 15, 2012

Cowboy conversation

A post from The Daddy Man:

Kimmy had a really bad headache this evening, and since our boy learned to whisper in a sawmill, I thought I'd get Biscuit out of the house for a little while.

When I told Biscuit we were going, he asked if he could keep his cowboy outfit on. He was wearing a vest, cowboy hat and boots. I told him he could, and we headed out.

Our plan was to get milk, but I thought I would extend our trip and pick up some decongestant at the drug store.

Biscuit and I got to the pharmacy counter, and Biscuit immediately noticed the waiting area chairs.

"Dad, I'm going to wait over here," he said.

There was a woman in one of the other chairs, maybe late 30s-early 40s. Biscuit sat right beside her, and of course, because it's what he does, he struck up a conversation.

"Excuse me," he said, "have you ever been to a rodeo?"

"No," the woman said. And before she could say anything else, Biscuit gave her more details.

"We went to the rodeo. And we saw two cowboys on horses. And then we saw bulls, and they bucked those cowboys off EVERY TIME! And we saw bull fighters. Do you know what bull fighters are?"

He didn't give her time to answer before he explained the bull fighters (formerly rodeo clowns).

"The bull fighters help the cowboys when the bulls buck them off, and sometimes they dance."

All the lady got to add to the conversation was that she had seen a rodeo on TV one time. I think she could've stayed completely silent, and Biscuit would not have been discouraged.

I got the decongestant I was after, and luckily for the lady, it was time for us to go.

"Come on," I told Biscuit. "We've got everything we need."

The woman smiled and waved at Biscuit and said, "See ya, cowboy." I'm not sure Biscuit even heard her. He was already galloping down the aisle on his imaginary horse.

No comments: