Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Costume fascination

You know how it is with catalogs. If you order one single item from a catalog ... EVER ... you get 85,000 "related" catalogs from which to shop.

So with Halloween on the way, we've gotten multiple costume catalogs. And Biscuit is fascinated.

I glanced through one of the catalogs then put it on the recycling stack. The next day, it was on the coffee table, open to the page that featured a couple dressed as Woody and Jessie.

Biscuit has had his Halloween costume picked out since August. He and I were walking through a store, and out of nowhere, he said, "Mom, for Halloween, I want to dress up like a cowboy. And I want to wear the cowboy costume that Grandma gave me. And for my birthday, I want to have a firefighter party. Okay?"

I had not mentioned Halloween or his birthday. I had no idea that he realized that Halloween and his birthday were near each other. I was trying to figure out where in the world the conversation came from when Biscuit said, "MOM! Did you hear me? Did you hear what I said, Mom? I want to be a cowboy with a firefighter birthday party."

"Yeah, I heard you," I said. "How do you know that Halloween and your birthday are coming? And how do you know that we're even having a birthday party this year?"

"Just because, Mom," Biscuit said. And the conversation was over.

The good thing is that I don't have to buy a Halloween costume. The bad thing is that I've got to get to work on a firefighter birthday party!

Here's Biscuit checking out his favorite costume catalog:


No comments: