Sunday, December 18, 2011

Who the heck is Dave?!?

I was sabotaged by my own husband last night.

Biscuit loves a book about Paul Revere that belonged to Jeff as a child. It's been his go-to bedtime book for a long time.

Jeff decided one night to ad lib a line, and Biscuit liked it so much that when Jeff read it the next night, Biscuit added on the extra line himself. From then on, Jeff said the line each night, even though it isn't in the book.

Paul Revere says, "We did it! We did it! Right under their noses!"

Then on that fateful night, Jeff read the line above then said, "Yeah, we did it!" said Dave.

I carried Biscuit to bed tonight, and he asked me to read about Paul Revere.

I was reading about how Paul Revere was "riding, riding, riding to liberty." I read about how they did it "right under their noses," then turned the page and kept going.

"What about Dave, Mom?" Biscuit asked. "You forgot Dave."

I flipped back a couple of pages and didn't see anything about anyone named Dave.

Biscuit started to get upset. "You didn't read it, Mom," he whined. "You have to read about Dave."

I couldn't figure out what he was talking about, and the longer I sat there trying to figure it out, the more upset Biscuit got. There were tears and everything.

Jeff was sitting in the living room and heard me reading. He called me, and I stepped out of Biscuit's room to see what he wanted.

Jeff explained how he was reading one night and just added Dave in ... just for the heck of it.

So I went back into Biscuit's room and said, "Hey, let's flip back a page and read it again." I added Dave into the story, and Biscuit got a huge grin on his face.

"That's right, Mom. You forgot Dave, but now you read about him," he said. "Thanks, Mom. Thanks for reading about Dave."

Now, what can I do to pay back Jeff?!?

No comments: