Saturday, December 24, 2011

Out of the mouth of my babe ... Christmas edition

Here are a few things Biscuit has been saying recently:


What?!?: Sometimes you just listen and agree. Don't even try to understand.

Biscuit said recently, "When I grow up, I'm going to be bigger and bigger and bigger. And when I'm cold, my hair keeps me warm like horses' hair keeps them warm."

Smile and nod with an occasional "yeah," then smile and nod some more.


Baby Jesus: Biscuit was telling his Grandma all about his Nativity set, and I think for the first time, he really thought about Baby Jesus being an actual baby. So he came up with a plan.

"Baby Jesus has to go to day care. Mom's going to take him," Biscuit said. "The snowman is going to be his teacher."


The Duke: Remember Biscuit's brown cowboys movie? (It's the tame Western that has sepia-toned photos on the DVD box?) Yes, my son's favorite movie was made in 1949. What can I say, he's an old soul.

John Wayne's character in the movie is Capt. Brittles. I'm not sure how Biscuit decided this, but he will argue with you that John Wayne's character is actually named Capt. Griddles. When Biscuit is on his stick horse or his bouncy horse, he says, "I'm pretending to be Capt. Griddles" as he rides off into the sunset.

So Jeff decided the other day to see if Biscuit understands that the character Capt. Brittles is played by the actor John Wayne.

"Do you know who John Wayne is?" Jeff asked Biscuit.

"Yeah. He's a pretty good brown cowboy," Biscuit said nodding and smiling.

For now, I think that's all he needs to know.


Gift request: We haven't talked a lot about Santa Claus or exactly when Christmas Day is. Biscuit doesn't really understand "next week" or "4 days from now," so we've kept him on a need-to-know basis.

Yesterday morning, as we were getting ready for the day, Jeff asked Biscuit, "So Biscuit, what did you tell Santa Claus you wanted for Christmas?"

"I tell him I want firefighters, Dad," Biscuit said.

"And what did Santa Claus say about that?" Jeff asked.

Biscuit thought for a second and said, "Santa Claus, he say 'Firefighters coming right up!'"

Let's hope Santa was listening!

No comments: