Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:


Merry vs. Mary: I finally figured out the Very Christmas thing. Biscuit keeps arguing, saying that you don't say "Merry Christmas," you're supposed to say "Very Christmas."

When we were at my parents' house this weekend, my Mama said "Merry Christmas" to Biscuit. He said, "No, Grandmama. It's Very Christmas. Mary is Baby Jesus' Mom."

So basically, every time somebody says "Merry," he thinks they're saying "Mary."

It was like a lightbulb went off over my head. Now I get it. I do have to say that it sounds a little weird for Biscuit to refer to Mary as "Jesus' Mom"?
 

New horse book: Biscuit got a new book about horses for Christmas. He has remembered and even recited random facts from this book since the first time we read it to him. Although, a few of the facts have blended together into statements that just aren't quite right.

Like this morning. "Mom, is it cold outside? Do I need to put on my coat?"

"Yes," I told him. "It's cold, so you need your coat."

"Mom, horses have great eyesight when it's cold. When they're cold, their eyesight is great."

You learn something new every day, I guess.


Cowboy learning: "Mom, when I'm a cowboy, I will put my left foot in the stirrup and mount my horse. That's what I'll do."


Story time: This is a story Biscuit shared with me this morning.

"One day I was riding my horse outside. And a wild white shadow came and got on my horse. Then a bear started chasing us. And my horse, he neighed really loudly and scared off the bear."

Sometimes you just have to smile and nod.


Definitely my boy: Biscuit has struggled with timing during the holidays. Telling him things like, "Christmas is next week" doesn't mean a whole lot. He doesn't understand when next week is.

But when we told him on Christmas Eve that Santa Claus was coming that night, he got it.

His eyes got big, he took in a big breath, and he said, "Tooo-niiiight?"

So the day after Christmas, as we were driving the 2 1/2 hours home from my parents', Biscuit asked about Christmas. I explained to him that it was over. I went back over all the things we did in preparation -- put up the tree and decorations, made cookies and candy, read about Mary and Joseph and Baby Jesus, gave and received presents and went to see Santa Claus.

Biscuit considered all of this for a minute, nodded his head and said, "Okay, Mom. What's next?"

Yep, he's my boy, alright.

No comments: