Saturday, August 28, 2010

Food for thought

A post from The Daddy Man:

Kim was out running errands, and I put together a plate of leftovers for Biscuit's dinner. He had some macaroni and cheese and some oven-fried chicken.

I warmed it up, and the boy seemed hungry enough, but he only picked at his food while he was at the table. Then, he said, "Down, please."

I didn't think he had had enough to eat, so after he ran into the living room to play some more, I grabbed his plate and brought it with me. I sat on the couch and pretended to eat the food on Biscuit's plate. He's always very interested in having some of whatever is on everyone else's plate, so when he thought he saw me eating, he walked over and said, "Bite, bite, bite, please."

I gave him a bite then pretended to start eating again. "Bite, please. Bite." I gave him another bite and this continued until he had cleaned his plate.

I'm figuring out that sometimes parenting involves just a little bit of trickery.

No comments: