Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My little helper

Biscuit likes to help. It makes him very proud of himself when he does something that warrants a big "thank you" from me or his Dada.

When we're doing laundry, he likes to help transfer the wet clothes to the dryer. Then he likes to close the dryer door so I can turn it on. Sometimes his "help" isn't exactly helpful. When we take the clothes out of the dryer and start folding them into piles, sometimes he jumps on the piles and rolls around. I love it when I have to fold the laundry twice (did you feel the sarcasm oozing out of that sentence?!?).

Biscuit also likes the help with the mail. When we get out of the car in the evening, we walk to the end of the driveway to the mailbox. Biscuit knows he has to stop where the driveway ends. I step out into the street and take the mail out of the box. Then I have to hand at least one piece to Biscuit so he can carry it in the house.

Today I learned that Biscuit helps at daycare, too. For story time, the kids have to sit on a big piece of carpet in the story area. As you know, Biscuit loves him some books. So they say he gets pretty excited about story time. So today, the teacher walked over to the story time area and started calling the other kids. She said she looked down, and Biscuit was standing right beside her, waving his hand and saying, "Moan to carpet, read book" to the other kids. (He doesn't say "come on" ... just "moan.")

Biscuit is also doing his part to save the Earth. He knows that cans go in the recycling can instead of the trash can. So when Jeff and I finish canned drinks, he likes to take the cans to the recycling bin. The first time it happened, I wasn't sure where he was taking the can. So I sat on the couch and listened closely. I heard him drop it right into the bin. I made sure to make a big fuss when he got back to the living room. And he looked very proud of himself.

And we're proud of him, too.

1 comment:

Her Hollyness said...

omg, dude -- i never thought of it before, but the kids in biscuit and lorelei's generation are the first ones to be taught to recycle from the start! eeeks! the world IS changing for the better! yey for biscuit and all the other kiddos!