Wednesday, September 1, 2010

There's a kid in my car!

Last Friday morning, Jeff and I were running late for work. Neither of us remembered to set our alarm clocks. So I woke up with a start and hit the floor running. And of course, it seemed like everything we needed to do to get ready took twice as long as usual.

We all got clean, brushed our teeth and put on our clothes. Then we had the discussion about who had what going on that day, and I was voted in as the "take Biscuit to day care" person.

Jeff left for work, and I buckled Biscuit into his car seat. We drove out of the neighborhood, and as we got on the main road, my mind started racing with all the things I needed to get done that day ... work-wise, home-wise, mama-wise, etc.

I turned onto a four-lane highway and set the cruise control as I headed to work. Then I heard this little voice say, "Truck, Mama. Truck."

OH, CRAP! There's a kid in my car!!!

I was more than halfway to work when I realized that Biscuit was still in the back seat! That four-lane highway I mentioned? I was never even supposed to get on that road. Day care is in another direction.

So, I turned on a side street and backtracked my way to Biscuit's day care. I was all flustered when I dropped him off. I told the director what had happened, and because she has three kids of her own, she just laughed and laughed.

"Hey, at least you didn't leave him at home or in the parked car in your work parking lot," she said.

Some days I think this Mama job has completely erased my memory and common sense!

No comments: