Saturday, August 14, 2010

Two shows in two days

We just got back from our second car show this weekend. We had one last night that was a cruise-in, and one this afternoon that was a regular park-it-and-wait-for-it-to-be-judged kind of show.

Last night, we met a couple of friends and their son, who is 3 months younger than Biscuit. The town where they live blocks off main street after classic cars pull in diagonally down both sides of the street. Then people can just walk around checking out the rides.

It took Jeff and me longer than we thought it would to get to the show. We both got out of work later than we'd hoped, plus, we had to pick Biscuit up at day care, go home, change clothes, get the Barracuda out, then drive 30 minutes to the cruise-in. By the time we got there, they had already closed off the street.


We have to drive two cars when we go to shows because the Barracuda isn't equipped to handle a baby seat, plus, with Biscuit's history of ear infections, I really don't want him blowing in the wind from the back seat of a convertible.


So Biscuit and I found a parking spot in a bank parking lot. And as soon as I opened the back of the car, it hit me ... when I was p
acking to go to the lake last weekend, I took Biscuit's stroller out of the car. I was two blocks away from where the cars were, and even farther away from where our friends were. Luckily, as soon as Biscuit and I caught up with our friends, I had some toting help.

Jeff couldn't figure out how to get parked, so he asked a police officer. The guy told him that the only way he could get in was to go through the TV line. So here's Jeff, just arriving in town, and he hops right in line in front of all the other cars and gets on TV. My husband, the camera hog! Our friend sent us a link to the local cable TV channel so we could watch Jeff cruising through downtown and his interview with the show's host. They'll rebroadcast it from time to time until the next cruise-in.

By the time Jeff found a parking place, both kids were hungry, so we headed into a tasty burger joint. By the time we made it out of there, a lot of the cars were heading for home. They have several cruise-ins a year, so I guess we'll have to plan better for the next one.

The show we went to today was the 16th annual show for a local car club. Jeff entered the same show two years ago (and wo
n a trophy). And he won a trophy today, too. This area is very Chevy and Ford laden, so when a Mopar shows up, it usually gets a lot of attention.

We met a really nice guy from one town over. His dad had given him the car he entered, just like Jeff's dad gave him his Barracuda. It was nice to talk to him, especially hearing him and Jeff both talk about how their cars have way more sentimental value than they ever will monetary value.

Biscuit took a quick nap during the afternoon, but for the most part, he was perfectly content sitting in his stroller looking around. Although, he did get a bigger kick out of the ducks, dogs and babies than the beautiful cars that were all around him!

After the trophies were handed out, Biscuit and I were heading back to our car. All the entrances but one were blocked off, so as we walked, all the cars started parading past us. I found a shady spot, and we stopped and just watch the cars come by. I explained to Biscuit what each car was and whether we liked it or not (and being a Ford girl from way back, I think I was pretty fair in including some Chevys on my list of what we liked).

I hope for Jeff's sake that our boy takes an interest in cars. If his behavior right now is any indication, I don't think I have anything to worry about!


No comments: