Friday, April 29, 2016

Food Glorious Food

The first-grade classes at Biscuit's school put on a concert last week called "Food Glorious Food." They sang food-themed songs with hand motions and dance moves and a bunch of the kids recited a food-themed poem in between the songs.

Sadly, I don't have any video of it. I do have pictures, though.

As the program started, they played "Food Glorious Food," the song from the musical "Oliver." Then the kids filed in. Three classes at a time stood on the risers, and the other two classes stood on each side of the stage. Each class has school T-shirts in a different color. It helps the teachers and chaperones keep the kids straight.

So I asked Biscuit how the program would work, and he said, "Well, each class will get to step up to the tape for one song."

And he said like I was supposed to know exactly what "step up to the tape" meant. Turns out, it means exactly what it sound like. The classes rotated in and out of position when it was time to sing their songs. Biscuit's class was "on the tape" for "Apples and Bananas." But sadly, Biscuit was on the second row, and we couldn't see him at all.

After his class did their song, they filed up on the risers. Then I could finally see him.

And what did he do? He immediately spotted me in the crowd, waved both hands in the air wildly, then put on a cute smile because he knew I would have my camera turned on him!

The program included:

"Beans and Marines" - "Yes, we're beans, beans, we love to feed Marines in the store, in the store. Oh yes we're beans, bean, we love to feed Marines in the corner grocery store."

"Apples and Bananas" - "I like to eat. I like to eat. I like to eat. Apples and bananas." Then they work their way through the vowels. "I like to eat. Eepples and benenes." Then "I like to ote. Opples and bononos."

"The Muffin Man" - "Do you know the Muffin Man, the Muffin Man, the Muffin Man? Yes, I know the Muffin Man who lives on Drury Lane?"

"Down by the Bay" - Down by the bay, where watermelons grow, back to my home, I dare not go, for if I do, my mother will say, "Have you ever seen a moose sipping on juice?" They repeated the "down by the bay" part, but changed the questions at the end. They included: "Have you ever seen a whale munching some kale?" "Have you ever seen a fly eating a pie?" "Have you ever seen a bear eating a pear?" "Have you ever seen a llama eating lasagna?"

"Fruits and Vegetables" - "Fruits and vegetables, fruits and vegetables, I will eat them every day. Hey! Fruits and vegetables, fruits and vegetables, make me want to shout hooray. Hooray! Chop, chop, chop. Slice, slice, slice. Dice, dice, dice. I will eat them every day. Hey!"

"Popping Corn" - "Popping corn, popping corn. Hear it bang and sputter. Popping corn, popping corn. I like lots of butter."

"On Top of Spaghetti" - "On top of spaghetti all covered with cheese. I lost my poor meatball when somebody sneezed. It rolled off the table, it rolled on the floor. And then my poor meatball rolled out of the door."

It was a cute program, and we enjoyed watching how the different kids behaved (or misbehaved!).

Here are some pictures of Biscuit at the show:

Biscuit's class is in green. You can see a tiny
bit of his head between a couple of boys.






"Chop, chop, chop."

"Dice, dice, dice."

No comments: