Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Out of the mouth of my babe - Grandparents edition

A few things Biscuit said while spending Spring Break at his grandparents house:


Egg hunt: We planned for Biscuit to spend Spring Break at my parents' house. And then we realized that he was out the Friday before as well. So even though that meant that he wouldn't be with us on Easter, we drove to the halfway point and handed off Biscuit.

That also meant that he got to go to the Easter egg hunt at their church on Saturday. He's been to the hunt before, and we usually go to church when we visit them, so lots of people already know him by name.

I guess he didn't get enough on that Saturday because Sunday afternoon, he asked Mama if they could do some more.

"Grandmama, can we seek eggs?" Biscuit asked.

"What do you mean?" Mama asked.

"You know," Biscuit said, "like someone hides them and someone seeks them."

Mama said after she realized what he was asking for, it made perfect sense to her. And she hid them, and he told me on the phone later that evening that he "seeked" them.


The Easter Bunny: Mama and Biscuit went to the store and on the way home, they had a conversation that really surprised Mama.

Biscuit was looking out the car window.

"I love nature," Biscuit said. "Some people don't believe in Mother Nature. ... I mean, I know she's not a real person. She just stands for nature."

Mama said she just kind of agreed with him and let it go.

Then, he said, "You know, some people don't believe in the Easter Bunny. ... I guess I don't really believe in him, either."

"You don't?" Mama asked.

"Well, I think it's probably something like Mom and Dad or you and Papa get up during the night and leave stuff in my basket," Biscuit said.

Mama said she had no idea what to say, so she changed the subject. But of course as soon as they got out of the car, she sent Biscuit inside the house and stayed outside to call me. I'm not ready for all that fun to be over, so until he brings it up to Jeff and me, all systems are still a go!


The bear facts: Biscuit sleeps on an inflatable mattress at the foot of my parents' bed. They have two other bedrooms, but he likes to be close to them.

One of the first nights he was there, he woke up in the middle of the night and started calling Mama.

"Grandmama ... Grandmama ..." Biscuit called out.

"What is it?" Mama asked.

"Grandmama, I hear something growling," Biscuit said. And Mama said he sounded almost panicked.

Mama started laughing a little bit and explained to Biscuit. "Honey, that's just Papa snoring."

That seemed to satisfy him, and he went back to sleep.

Mama told Daddy about the dream, so the next morning, Daddy said to Biscuit, "I had a weird dream last night."

"What was it?" Biscuit asked.

"I dreamed that I was a bear, and I was growling while I was chasing a little boy," Daddy said.

I don't think Biscuit bought it, but he got a good laugh anyway.

No comments: