Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:


Tasty treats: Biscuit gets to have lots of treats when he's at my parents' house. And that's as it should be. I remember special treats that both of my grannies kept on hand for our visits.

So Biscuit consumes a lot of Pop-Tarts when he visits my parents. And recently, he's decided that he likes them better untoasted.

So Mama got a kick out of the question he asked her one morning.

"Grandmama, did you uncook my Pop-Tart?" Biscuit asked.

"Yes, I did," Mama said. "Just like you like it."


Phone time: I called Biscuit twice a day while he was away. He never wanted to talk long, but he wanted to hear from me in the morning and in the evening before he went to bed.

We would discuss what he was doing and what he had been eating and where he had been going. And he always had good stories to tell me.

But I could always tell when he had bigger and better things to do than talking to me.

I called one evening, and he was kind of quiet. We hadn't been on the phone but a couple of minutes, and he said, "Well, is there anything specific you wanted to talk to me about?"

I had to smile.

"Not really," I told him. "I just wanted to tell you that I miss you, and I love you."

"Okay," he said. "I love you, too, but I think I'm going to go now."

And that was that.


Daily reading: Biscuit is supposed to read for 20 minutes each day. They're trying to build up their reading stamina so that when they get to the third grade and have to take the end-of-the-grade tests, they'll be prepared to read the passages and answer the questions.

This evening, Biscuit grabbed a book and climbed into Jeff's chair in the living room. He started reading out loud.

Once he had read a few pages, he said, "Mom, would it be okay if I just read in my mind?"

I was completely distracted and didn't get what he was saying at first.

"What?" I asked him.

"I was reading out loud, but now I'd like to just read in my mind," he said. "Is that okay?"

"Yep," I said. "That is perfectly fine."

No comments: