Monday, August 6, 2012

To stroll or not to stroll

A couple of people commented on Biscuit being in a stroller in the photo I posted yesterday. And to those who question a 3-year-old in a stroller, I say, "Hey, it works for us."

Since I've been a parent, there have been times when I questioned something I was doing because it wasn't common wisdom or my parent-friends didn't do it that way or I saw an article or blog post that said I should do it differently.

I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or if it's because I've been a parent for a few years now, but when it comes to Biscuit, I am trying really hard to trust my gut and do what I think is right for him despite differing opinions. And I don't mean just about the big stuff. Believe it or not, the big decisions seem to be easier than the everyday little decisions.

Like: Is it okay if Biscuit watches more TV tonight than usual? Should Biscuit have eaten more for dinner? Should I push him to eat more or trust what his belly is telling him? Do I chance buying fall clothes in his current size at the consignment sales or wait to see if he hits a growth spurt and just shop at regular stores? When Biscuit has a sore throat but no fever, is it sinus drainage or should we take him to the doctor?

All the little nagging questions are what will really drive you crazy.

Like a bit of doubt about whether a 3-year-old is too old for a stroller.

I love that stroller. Well, I love that stroller now. It wasn't my bestest friend when we first started using it. Remember this?

Anyway, Biscuit is still small enough that he gets tired when we do a lot of walking. Figuring that he takes about three steps to every one of mine and Jeff's, I can see how he would be worn out at some of the bigger car shows and other places we go. And even though Biscuit is still small for his age, he weighs 31 pounds. Jeff gives him "neck rides" a lot of times, but when you spend all day out and about, Jeff's neck gets tired, too. And there's no way I can tote that little sack of taters around for any long amount of time.

Plus, Biscuit is a hard-core nap-taker. If it gets to a certain point in the afternoon, I don't care where we are or what is going on, that boy is going to sleep. And that fancy stroller? It has a reclining seat.

Anyway, my point is that despite Biscuit's age, the stroller works for us, and I'm glad that at this point in my life, I can try to do what's best for my son without worrying too much about whether it fits into someone else's parenting mold.

2 comments:

Tanya M. said...

Dude, I am going to CRY when Jake no longer wants to ride in his stroller. It's awesome! It's got drink holders, my nifty Mommy Hook to hold shopping bags, a basket for coats and odds and ends. In fact, my husband had to talk me out of buying the new model of our stroller that has more bells and whistles that came out a couple of months ago. Who's giving you beef?! They are welcome to come hold my drink, my shopping bags and my sleeping child. LOL

Tanya M. said...

Dude, I am going to CRY when Jake no longer wants to ride in his stroller. It's awesome! It's got drink holders, my nifty Mommy Hook to hold shopping bags, a basket for coats and odds and ends. In fact, my husband had to talk me out of buying the new model of our stroller that has more bells and whistles that came out a couple of months ago. Who's giving you beef?! They are welcome to come hold my drink, my shopping bags and my sleeping child. LOL