Saturday, August 25, 2012

Outgoing Biscuit

Biscuit latest cashier friend is Joan. We met Joan last night at a department store. 

There was a lady in line with a huge mound of clothing, accessories and hats on the counter of the one cashier that was open. Did I mention the woman also had a handful of coupons and was having the cashier individually scan each item to find out which coupon she could use on which item?

So Joan, the jewelry counter cashier came up to us in line and politely said, "I think they're going to be a while, so can I ring you up at the jewelry counter?"

"YES!" I said, and we walked over.

Jeff put his new shoes on the counter and handed the cashier a coupon (40% off any one red-dot sale item).

"Hi. My name is Griffin," Biscuit said.

"Hiiiiiii," the cashier said, all drawn out. "My name is Joan. It's nice to meet you Griffin." (Jeff and I both said later that it was unusual to meet a Joan as young as this girl was. She couldn't have been more than college-aged.)

"It's nice to meet you, too, Joan," Biscuit said. I love how he always adds the person's name at the end of that sentence. It's such a personal touch.

"Um, Joan," Biscuit said. "When we were back there, we were looking at the firetruck puzzles. Do you have any puzzles at your house?" 

(Biscuit doesn't know it, but he's getting one of those puzzles for Christmas. They were on sale for 30% off, then I had a coupon for an additional 20% any sale item.)

"I DO have a puzzle at my house," Joan said. "It has Tigger on it. Do you know who Tigger is?"

Biscuit shook his head no, and I was a little ashamed that we haven't read Winnie the Pooh to him.

Joan put Jeff's shoes in a bag, and we turned to walk out.

"Bye, Joan," Biscuit said.

"Bye, Griffin," Joan said. Then she looked at me and said, "I just love to meet kids who will talk to you. You don't meet them like that very often."

"I love that he talks to people," I said. "I just hope he can talk to pretty girls like that when he's a teenager!" And Joan smiled.

No comments: