Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Or else!

Biscuit often says things that seem way beyond his years. Jeff and I always share the same look that says, "Where in the world did THAT come from?"

But sometimes, Biscuit can't quite find the words he needs.

Yesterday, Biscuit was trying his best to get me to move so he could sit beside Jeff on the couch. But he was being very rude about it. Needless to say, Mama don't play that! I assured him that talking to me like that wouldn't get him the results he desired.

At that point, Biscuit wanted to let me know he was serious. So he was trying to come up with some consequences for my action of not moving. The only problem for him is that he couldn't come up with any consequences to use.

Biscuit stammered a bit and looked around trying to find the right words. "Mom, if you don't move ... um ... if you don't ... um ..." You could see the wheels turning in his little head. "Mom, if you don't move over and let me sit by Dad, then ... um ... I'm gonna call you Mom AND Dad."

Well, THAT'll teach me!

I don't even know what that means. And I'm guessing Biscuit didn't either. But that was the best threat he could come up with.

Biscuit did get a seat after all, it just wasn't the one he wanted. I made him sit in one of the dining room chairs for a little while, and you'd have thought I slapped his face off. He was inconsolable. I wanted to tell him to sit in that chair and think about what he'd done, but I didn't need to say anything. He knew what he had done.

He finally calmed down, and I let him come back into the living room. He still wasn't happy, but he didn't mouth off at me again.

I hate having to be so stern with my baby boy. But I'd hate it even more if he never learned that being rude to people is wrong. I guess playing Bad Cop every once in a while just comes with the territory of being a Mama.

No comments: