Monday, March 12, 2012

Chaos

Our house is in a bit of chaos right now.

Jeff was at an out-of-town basketball tournament from Wednesday until last night (3:15 this morning, to be exact).

My parents came up Thursday and stayed until yesterday afternoon.

We lost an hour because of the time change over the weekend.

I had to return to the dentist to have a crown done today. I have a temporary crown that will be replaced with a permanent one in two weeks.

Biscuit and I are still getting over colds.

My car is in the shop for a repair, so we have one car between the three of us.

Add up all those things, and you get chaos.

Biscuit was so excited to spend time with my parents. He would play and talk and sing and laugh so much that he would reduce himself to total exhaustion. And when he's that tired, he heads toward grumpiness and restlessness.

Throw in the time change, and Biscuit's schedule was all out of whack. We all got up an hour later Sunday morning. We ran a couple of errands, then my parents headed home. Biscuit was sad about them leaving. But I could also tell that he was really tired. I didn't really want to put him down for a nap because it was already 3:30 when Mama and Daddy left. But I could tell he wasn't going to last through the evening without one.

I put Biscuit down for a nap, and the child slept 3 1/2 hours. I could not wake him up. I tried four times, and his eyes were so heavy that they never even focused on me. I knew my night was going to be a late one. I couldn't get that baby asleep Sunday night until 11:40 p.m.

I finally got to sleep about midnight, then Jeff got home at 3:15. After chatting with him about his trip, I guess I probably got to sleep around 5 a.m. Biscuit and I both struggled getting up this morning, plus we were trying to be really quiet so Jeff could get some sleep.

Jeff was off today, and I had my dentist appointment this afternoon. But because I had the car, a friend of ours picked Jeff up at home and brought him to the dentist office so he could drive me home.

I swear, I feel like I've planned, scheduled, finagled, switched and swapped this past week more than I have in a long, long time.

When we got home, Biscuit was glued to Jeff. He was so excited that Jeff was home.

But Biscuit was also on edge. He was unusually whiny. He cried for no reason. And he didn't want me to have any part of Jeff. I was sitting on the couch beside Jeff, and Biscuit walked up and said, "Move, Mom. I want to sit by Dad."

Excuse me?!? I told him I wouldn't move. 1. Because I wanted to sit beside Jeff and 2. Because he didn't ask or say please. Upon hearing that, Biscuit melted down. He was truly heartbroken. At one point, he sort of crumpled to the floor and sobbed. It took us a good hour to get him settled down and back to his normal happy, easy-going self.

We'll have two days of normal, then Jeff has to cover another tournament this weekend. And I think if we can hold on until then, we'll make it through.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Is basketball season over yet?

No comments: