Thursday, January 5, 2012

New pants

I once heard of an elaborate practical joke where every night this guy's roommate would hem up his two pairs of uniform pants just a tiny bit higher than the night before. The roommate did this for a week, and needless to say, the guy who wore the uniforms thought he was going crazy.

Well, I think someone played that joke on Biscuit over the weekend.

I sent him to the beach with three pairs of jeans, and he came home with the same three pairs of jeans, but each pair was about an inch and a half shorter than they were when I packed them. 

It has to be a version of that practical joke because my Biscuit baby cannot possibly be growing up so fast!

I called my brother today to ask him what in the world they did to Biscuit over the weekend.

"What did you feed him?" I asked.

"It wasn't the food," my brother said. "What happened was that his cousins were fighting over him, so they each grabbed one end of Biscuit and pulled. They stretched him out the whole weekend."

So, Biscuit got new pants this evening. Three pairs of new pants. Buying those pants was weird on several levels:
  1. I've only had to buy Biscuit a few pairs of pants during his 3 years. And most of what I've bought has been just because it was something so cute or so inexpensive, I couldn't pass it up. We've been so lucky with hand-me-downs, that I was a little surprised that I was actually going to have to go shopping for clothes for him ... on purpose.
  2. Biscuit is so narrow through the waist and hips, I can't just go into a store and buy 3T pants. So this was the first shopping trip where we went into the dressing room to try things on.
  3. KID CLOTHES ARE EXPENSIVE! When you're used to having the majority of your child's wardrobe given to you, it's hard to spend that kind of money, even when the clothes are on sale.
I asked Biscuit tonight how tall he planned on growing to be. He stretched his arms up as high as they would go and said, "Thaaaaaat tall, Mom."

"Taller than Dad?" I asked.

"Yes. Taller than Dad," Biscuit said.

So I guess this means our pants shopping trip this evening won't be our last outing of the sort.

No comments: