Tuesday, January 24, 2012

It all comes back

Biscuit has started picking up turns of phrase. And what tickles me most is that once he learns them, he uses them a lot. And he uses them correctly.

I was thinking about that the other night when Jeff was trying to get him to take a bath, and he said, "No means no, Dad." He's heard that from me. I'll tell him no about something, and he'll ask again. And I'm trying to teach him that when I say no, don't ask again. So I've told him more than once, "When I say no, that means no."

Here are a few others:

Is that a good plan? When Biscuit forms a plan on his own, he always follows up with "Is that a good plan, Mom?" Like if I say, "What should we do for dinner, Biscuit?" And he'll say, "Um, we should go to the pancake restaurant and eat pancakes. Is that a good plan, Mom?" 

Good as new: The ladder came off of one of Biscuits seemingly thousands of fire trucks, and he took it to Jeff and asked him to fix it. Jeff said okay, then Biscuit asked, "Will it be good as new, Dad?" I've heard Jeff say to Biscuit so many times that once something is fixed, it will be good as new. Biscuit filed it away and used it exactly the way he should've.

Oh, I get it: When Biscuit asks you a question and you give him an explanation, he'll nod his head and say, "Ohhhhh. I get it, Mom."

It was here a minute ago: When Biscuit can't find something, he repeats what he hears Jeff say all the time, "I can't find my fire truck. It was here just a minute ago."

It's more than a little weird to hear your own words coming back to you like that.

No comments: