Monday, January 2, 2012

I did it!

I've survived a weekend without seeing Biscuit. Well, unless you count the photos my brother sent me of Biscuit and two of his cousins sitting in a hole they dug in the sand.

I've been told that there will be times in the future when I can't wait to get away from Biscuit, but this first time was kinda hard.

Jeff and I had fun, and I didn't really realize how much we needed this time together.

We've had uninterrupted conversations. I've been able to eat meals without cutting up someone else's first. Jeff and I played golf. We saw a movie. We've strolled around stores without a buggy or a stroller, and without having to worry if it was nap time or food time or bathroom time.

As I often tell people, I never planned on doing the whole husband/family thing until Jeff came along and ruined all my plans. But now, I can't imagine not having Biscuit in our lives.

Even though Jeff and I said we were going to try not to talk about Biscuit during "our" time, of course we did anyway. Jeff said he never really noticed child obituaries until Biscuit came along. Now if he sees one (and it never matters if it's a disease or an accident or whatever), Jeff said he stops and takes a moment for the parents, praying they'll find some kind of peace in such a horrible situation.

Last week, when Jeff, Biscuit and I were shopping, we ran into a guy Jeff works with. Jeff introduced me to the guy and his wife, and I didn't realize it at the time, but it was the couple he had told me about a few months ago who had been trying to have a baby for a long, long time only to lose triplets during her eighth month of pregnancy. She had other miscarriages, too.

I'm almost glad I didn't know that when I met her. I think I might've had to hug her or something.

I used to get really bitter when I heard about high school girls getting pregnant or women who had no intention of getting pregnant and "it just happened." Some of us aren't that lucky. It takes a whole lot more work to get babies.

How in the world did I just get from Jeff and me spending time together to infertility. Jeezy Pete! 

We're meeting my brother and his family for the Biscuit trade-off at noon. Three more hours, and I get my Biscuit baby back.

Or as Jeff would sing (mocking a restaurant commercial), "You'll get your baby back, baby back, baby back." The jingle is talking about ribs, but I think I'll just grab onto the whole thing. And hold him and love him and pet him and squeeze him.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

And call him George?