Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few thing Biscuit has been saying recently:


Good manners: We went out for pizza last night, and there was a family there celebrating a girl's 13th birthday.

Sounds nice, right? Wrong. The three boys at the table were making loud, obnoxious rowdy-boy-type noises, including burping so loudly that we heard them across the restaurant. What's worse is that when one of the boys had a particularly long, loud belch, the mom said, "That was a good one, son!" and high-fived the boy.

This kept going for a while, and finally, Biscuit heard it and realized what was going on.

"Mom, that boy ... he's burping. He's burping, Mom. He didn't say excuse me after he burped. Mom, he should say excuse me after he burps," Biscuit said.

That's right, my almost-3-year-old has better manners than your 10-year-old.


That's not my mama: The regional director was visiting Biscuit's day care today. She stopped by the 2-year-old class and stopped just inside the door. The kids and their teacher were having circle time, and I guess the director didn't want to interrupt, so she turned to leave. 

Just then, one of Biscuit's classmates saw her and said, "Griffin, it's your mama. Your mama is here." The teacher said the director did favor me. At least enough for Biscuit to jump and start walking toward her.

"Mom! Mom!" Biscuit yelled.

Very quickly, he realized that it wasn't me. And from what I was told, his lip started to quiver, then he lost it.

It's nice to know the boy was so excited to see me. But it breaks my heart that he was so disappointed.


Rhyming words: When Biscuit and I were leaving for day care and work this morning, I had to turn the defrost on to clear the windshield.

"What are you doing, Mom?" Biscuit asked.

"I'm getting the fog off the windshield," I told him.

Biscuit has been learning about rhyming words, so he said, "There's a FROG on the windshield, Mom?"

In my typical morning haze, I said, "No, not frog, FOG."

Then Biscuit said, "There's a HOG on the windshield, Mom?"

It finally dawned on me what he was doing, so I said, "Yep. There's a hog on the windshield."

"NO, MOM! There's not a hog on the windshield. I'm just playing," Biscuit said. (Or paying, as he says it.)

No comments: