Sunday, October 23, 2011

Out of the mouth of my babe

 Some things that Biscuit has said recently:



Oh, I get it: When you explain something to Biscuit lately, he'll say, "Ohhhh. I get it." I couldn't figure out where that came from until last week. 

Jeff had to go out of town for the day for a work thing, and the night before, I said to him, "I know you have your bsaketball thing tomorrow, but I didn't want to miss Zumba, so I called a friend to babysit." 

Instead of saying, "Okay" or "I understand," Jeff said, "Oh. I get it." As soon as the words came out of his mouth, I thought, "THAT's where Biscuit has heard that." It's amazing to me the little things that his little ears hear, his little brain remembers, and his little mouth repeats. 


Where's the mud? There are certain books that Biscuit knows mostly by heart. They're the books we have to read to him over and over and over and over. And even though we always read the books word-for-word, the same every time, he tends to ask certain questions or make certain comments every single time we read them. 

One such question comes in a book we have from Jeff's childhood about Paul Revere. Paul Revere is riding through the swamps trying to get away from the Red Coats. One British soldier's horse sank down in the mud and fell down, throwing the soldier in the mud as well. And every single time we read that part, Biscuit says, "Where's the mud?" 

I have no idea why he says it, but if you look at the illustration on that page, you can see swampy water with reedy grass, but no actual mud. I don't know if Biscuit is drawing our attention to the fact that the words say there's mud, and there isn't really any mud, or if I'm reading into his comment.  

The frustrating thing at this age is that he doesn't have the words to tell you why he says what he says. He just blurts out whatever is on his mind. 

He also comments on a book we have about rescue vehicles. The first page talks about fire engines, and every single time we read it, Biscuit says, "It's not a fire engine, Mom. It's a fire truck." 


Manners: Biscuit is doing pretty well with his manners. I have to remind him sometimes, especially around our friends, but out in public, he does a good job of saying please and thank you. I'm glad he feels so comfortable around our friends, but I try to tell him that just because you see these people a lot doesn't mean that you don't have to say please and thank you to them. Actually, he should be saying please and thank you to them more than other people because they're going to do more for him during his life than say, the lady at the grocery store checkout. 

I'm also trying to explain to Biscuit the difference between "by accident" and "on purpose." He will throw something that misses his target and hits Jeff or me, and he's usually very quick to say, "I'm sorry, Mom. It was an accident." 

But he'll also use that line when he runs toward you and proceeds to crash into you, all the time making car skidding noises. "Hey, be careful," I'll say to Biscuit. "That hurt Mama."  

"I'm sorry, Mom. It was an accident," he'll say. And I explain to him that crashing into someone like a careening car is in no way an accident. 

He's much better with please and thank you, but we'll keep working on the rest.

No comments: