Saturday, October 15, 2011

Closing the deal

We have been incredibly lucky with the massive amounts of gifts and hand-me-downs we've received since Biscuit was born. So I've tried to give as much as we've gotten.

The problem now is that the three little boys who were the main recipients of our hand-me-down clothes have outgrown Biscuit. One of the boys is about 4 months younger than Biscuit, and the other two are a year younger. But Biscuit is still small for his age and has grown pretty slowly. As a matter of fact, he'll be 3 next month, and he has just now moved into 2T clothes.

Anyway, we got a flyer week before last on our mailbox that said there was a neighborhood yard sale planned for this morning. The home owners' association was going to advertise the event, and everybody in the neighborhood was welcome to set up sales in their yards.

Since we recently found out we aren't going to have any more children, I decided that I needed to purge our house of baby stuff. Yard sale, here we come!

Last weekend, I sorted all the clothes by size and bagged up some items, like 6 pairs of socks in a bag or 4 bibs or 3 burp cloths. I didn't want to deal with a bunch of 25-cent or 50-cent items. I marked the clothes at $1 for each item, then individually priced the toys and some other things.

I got up at 6 a.m. and started setting up. I had a table for each size of clothes (0-3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months and 18 months), a table for toys and books, a table for socks, shoes and other stuff and a hanging rack for coats and multiple-piece outfits. I didn't know if I was being too orderly by separating the sizes like that, but according to three different ladies, they bought more stuff at my sale because they didn't have to sort through, looking for the sizes they needed.

I got my first customer at 7:15 a.m. People came and went until about 11:30. I waited it out until noon and called it quits. I made more money than I thought I would make, and when I packed up the leftovers, I brought in less than half of what I had put out. I call that a success.

The first part of the morning, I was on my own. But Jeff had to leave for work about 10:30 a.m., so about 10, he said he needed to get ready to go, and he brought Biscuit out to me. I was a little worried about keeping up with Biscuit and customers, but it turns out, I should've had him out there the whole time. My little man is quite the salesman.

He spoke to everyone who came up and told people that the clothes and stuff at our sale was stuff from when he was "a wittle, bitty baby."

Biscuit asked me about the books and toys on the one table, and I said, "Those are things for little boys, and you're a big boy now. We'll give those books and toys to people, and they'll give us money for them."

You know how they say be careful what you say because you'll hear it come back to you? Well, it's true.

One lady walked up and asked how much the books were. I told her, and Biscuit walked over and said, "You can have those books for some money." That lady bought 6 books!

He said to one lady, "You have a wittle baby. This stuff is for wittle babies." She bought a sackful of clothes.

I think we might have found our boy's calling!

No comments: