Sunday, October 16, 2011

Of mimics and memories

Monkey see, monkey do and an elephant never forgets are the perfect cliches for Biscuit right now. He's been doing a lot of copycat behavior recently, and Jeff and I have been amazed lately at his memory.

Cell phone: I carry my cellphone in my front pants pocket. I don't really like having it with me all the time, but I do it in case day care needs to get in touch with me during the day. When Biscuit and I get ready to leave in the morning, I stop at the desk by the front door and stick my phone in my pocket. I guess Biscuit pays more attention to my routine than I realized because when we got to the pumpkin patch last Saturday, Biscuit had his cell phone in his front pocket. The funny thing is that it's a real cell phone. It belonged to Jeff's Dad (apparently the phone went swimming on a fishing trip), and he gave it to Biscuit to play with. It's pretty funny to see a toddler walking around talking on a real phone.

DVD player: Jeff and Biscuit were watching "Adam-12" one night in the living room. When the episode ended, Jeff hit the stop button on the remote. Biscuit got up, walked over to the DVD player, hit eject, took out the DVD and hit the off button. Did I mention that Biscuit has never been allowed to touch the DVD player? Apparently, he's seen us work the player enough so he knew exactly what to do.

Dishwasher: We had a similar experience with the dishwasher. I put the soap in and closed the door, and Bisuit said, "I want to push the button." Before I could point to the "Normal" button, he had already pushed it. There are 8 buttons on the front of that dishwasher, and he knew exactly which one would start it up.

Red head: Last weekend, I was coloring my hair (Shhhh. Don't tell. I have a wee bit of gray I have to cover up.), and Biscuit walked up and asked what was on my head. "I'm fixing my hair," I said to him. "Is your hair red yet, Mom?" Biscuit asked. I only color my hair once every two months or so, and I never mentioned to Jeff or Biscuit that I was going to color my hair that day. I have no idea why or how he remembered that the stuff on my head was what makes my hair red.

George: Dr Pepper recently ran a tuition contest, and they put the winner, whose name is George, on the side of the cans. I was drinking a Dr Pepper one afternoon, and Biscuit asked me who was on the can. I told him it was a guy named George. Two weeks later ... TWO WEEKS ... I was sitting in the living room holding a can of Dr Pepper. Biscuit walked up to me and said, "Is that George on that can, Mom?" I told him it was and asked him how in the world he remembered that. Biscuit looked at me and said, "Um, because his name is George." Okay then.

Books: Biscuit can recite whole passages of books. He loves stories. And he often takes parts of several stories and puts them together. Sometimes they make sense, sometimes they don't. But either way, it's pretty impressive how much he can glean from hearing a story only one or two times. Sometimes he'll say to Jeff and me, "Hey guys, listen to a story ..." then he'll open his hands like he's opening a book and say "Once upon a time ..." Then he'll proceed to tell us bits and pieces of things he's heard recently.

Sometimes when Biscuit says or does things, Jeff and I look at each other with amazement. Usually it's because we have absolutely no idea where Biscuit heard or saw whatever it is that he's repeating. I hope Biscuit's inquisitive nature continues throughout his life and that his memories serve him well.

No comments: