Saturday, October 29, 2011

Firefighter Biscuit in action

The temperature is supposed to be in the low 30s tonight, so I just turned on the gas logs in the living room.

I think I brought the colder weather on us because when a friend of ours in Vermont sent a photo of a beautiful snowy scene she shot there the other day, I said to her, "Would it be terribly cruel to tell you that Biscuit and I played baseball in the backyard this evening with no jackets on?" I think she sent this cold weather to pay me back.

Anyway, I turned the logs on and the flames shot up. Biscuit's eyes got kind of big, and he said, "Whoa! I'll be right back."

Biscuit came running back into the room wearing his firefighter hat. "I got my firefighter hat, Mom. I'm going to put out the fire." He was holding a pretend fire hose and started making a "shhhhhhhh" sound like water.

I said to Biscuit, "Don't put the fire completely out because it's going to keep us warm."

"I'm just playing, Mom. My fire hose is just pretend," he said with the tone you'd use to talk to someone who wasn't very bright.

There are a thousand comebacks I could've used, but alas, he's too young to understand any of them. So I just pursed my lips and stared at him until he started giggling. Clearly, I need to practice my watch-your-tone-mister look.

No comments: