Friday, September 28, 2018

The hurricane is coming

When the most recent hurricane was on its way toward land, we were warned that it was going to be really bad for us. We're a good ways inland, but even so, they were saying that when it ran aground, it was going to hang out and do damage for a pretty good while.

We got really, really lucky. Other than some heavy rain and wind, it spared us.

I feel really bad for those who did get hit. I have some friends at the coast who shared pictures, and it's just awful. I can't imagine what it will be like for the as they recover.

For the original forecast, they warned us that we'd probably lose power. So I went to the store and stocked up on stuff to eat that didn't require cooking. Well, I attempted to, anyway. Everyone else had the same idea, and it was hard to find bread, peanut butter, chips and crackers.

So I figured it couldn't hurt to bake.

We had brownies.



We had snickerdoodles.


There were chocolate chip cookies, too, but those didn't last long enough for me to take a picture.

Luckily, we never lost power.

So we watched a movie that takes place during a hurricane.


It felt like appropriate movie watching.

My parents live a ways south of us, and they had more severe weather than us. My parents never lost power, although Daddy had the generator ready to go. My brother and his family lost power for about a day. But he has a generator, too.

My brother and my nephew rode their four-wheelers around checking things out. My brother took a few pictures and sent them to me.

This is a creek near my parents' house before the storm. Two of my cousins, my Daddy and my nephew are picking out the perfect skipping rocks. 


And this is that creek after the storm.


All the skipping rocks were covered up by a couple feet of water. I hope that mean ol' storm left a few for us to throw the next time we're down there.

But we are fine, and all my people are fine. So skipping rocks or no, it's all good.

No comments: