Thursday, September 6, 2018

Manners recognized

Since Biscuit had to spend so much time with me at work, I thought I would get him a treat on the way home one evening.

We went by a bakery that we like a lot, and Biscuit got a big grin on his face.


I told him he could choose two things, and he was excited. But then, he started looking at all the choices. Cupcakes, cake slices, several kinds of brownies, cookies, cake pops, pastries, etc. 

He saw some cookies he didn't recognize, so he asked me what kind they were.

"I don't know, baby," I said to him. "You'll have to ask."

"Excuse me," Biscuit said, and waited until a young woman behind the counter came down to where he was. He asked her what kind they were and then told her he hadn't made a decision yet.

He had another question, and again, he said, "Excuse me," and waited for the woman to come over and answer his question.

An older lady was sitting at a table near the display case with her back toward us. She was enjoying a slice of cake and a cup of coffee.
Without turning all the way around, she said, "I am hearing some wonderful manners back there. And it's so, so nice."


We've worked really hard on Biscuit's manners. Mine and Jeff's parents stressed good manners, so naturally, we wanted to pass along those lessons. I don't think enough people teach manners anymore. It's important.

Anyway, usually when Biscuit gets compliments on his manners, people say it to me or Jeff. But what I liked about the lady at the bakery was that she told Biscuit directly how much she enjoyed hearing him say "Excuse me," "Please" and "Thank you."

I think she really reinforced with him how much manners can mean to someone. And of course, that just encourages him to use them even more.

No comments: