Sunday, September 2, 2018

Old habits

When school is over for the day, Biscuit stays put for ACES (After-School Care Enrichment Services). It's a countywide program that is really affordable, plus I love that he stays right there at the school.

He and his closest friends were put in the same group this year, so they'll get to spend a lot of time together. So he was excited about seeing all of them.

At the end of the first day of school, I drove to the school to pick him up as usual.

The doors are all locked. They can get out, but we can't get in without being let in. You have to hit something that looks like a doorbell button. It has a camera built in to the panel, and whoever is in the ACES office, can see who's there and buzz you in.

So I got all that done and walked into the multi-purpose room (gym, auditorium, cafeteria). There are white boards on the wall with a schedule for each group. That will tell you where your kid is. I checked the time and realized that Biscuit's group was in Room 109. So off I went.

Except for some reason, Room 109 didn't quite click.

Next thing I know, I'm standing in the doorway with his group leader from last year looking at me with a big smile.

"This is not where I'm supposed to be!" I said to him and started laughing.

"Old habits die hard," he said. He was laughing at me, too.

I turned around to go to Room 109 and ran smack into the principal.

"I went to the wrong room," I told him. "This was Griffin's group from last year."

I thought it was pretty funny, but I guess the principal didn't know whether he should laugh or not. So he just smiled and said, "Have a nice evening."

I eventually found Biscuit and told him what happened. Like me, he got a good laugh out of it.

No comments: