Friday, September 14, 2018

Don't they know?

The minor league baseball team in our town wasn't very good this year. And as Jeff was wrapping up the stories he was going to write about them, he talked to Biscuit a little bit about the last few games.

"Well, the players just kind of phoned it in for the last few games," Jeff said..

"What does that mean?" Biscuit asked.

"It means that they weren't playing very well, so they just sort of gave up," Jeff explained.

Some time after that, Biscuit was telling me all about it. And he had had enough thinking time to get all up in a huff!

"I mean ... those guys are professional baseball players, Mom!" he said. "First of all, they get paid to play, so they should play well. And also, baseball is fun, and if they weren't going to have fun, they shouldn't be playing."

A few minutes went by.

"It's like, I'm not the best baseball player, but even if I know I'm not going to win, I still play hard and finish as well as I can," Biscuit said.

A few more minutes went by.

"Do they not understand that it is a privilege for them to play baseball as their job? I mean, really. Can you believe that?" Biscuit said.

I love his sense of fairness and justice.

No comments: