Sunday, May 20, 2018

The joys of parenthood

When people have asked Jeff and me what changed when we became parents (other than the fact that there were three of us instead of two!) 

Well, we still went to restaurants. We like to eat out, so we just taught the boy how to behave when we were somewhere other than home. We still went to festivals. We just tried to plan food and breaks around him.

We still did pretty much everything we had done except two of our favorite things — going to the movies and going to concerts.

As Biscuit has gotten older, we've been able to see a few more grown-up movies, such as some of the recent superhero movies. But that's about as grown-up as we go with him.

As for concerts, we've taken him to many outdoor shows where the noise isn't an issue. And they've mostly been open to the public, so the talking in between songs has been appropriate, and the language has been clean.

Jeff and I recently celebrated 15 years of marriage, and just before our anniversary, I found out one of his favorite performers is coming to a venue one town over from us. I was excited about us getting to go see some music, but then I looked at the calendar and realized that the show is on a Wednesday night.

I didn't want Jeff to miss it, so before I gave him his anniversary present, I texted one of his friends to ask if he could go with him to the concert. And he said he could.

So Jeff is going to enjoy his anniversary gift with a friend, not me! It's funny the things you do as parents.

No comments: