Thursday, May 24, 2018

Out of the mouth my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:


Rules of the game: Biscuit has all these very complicated scenarios when he plays with his Legos and action figures. He even mixes movie characters with book characters and superheroes with cowboys.

But there are always exceptions and limitations.

"Okay," he'll say. "In the movie, this guy has the power to fly, but in THIS game, he can fly AND he has super strength." Or "this guy is from a book, but he's going to be on the good guys side with these guys from a movie."

And quite frankly, it's hard to keep up with the rules.

We were playing one day, and I had to get a clarification.

"Okay, so can the animals talk in this game?" I asked him.

"No, Mom," he said. "They are fully committed to animal behavior in this game."

"So, my whatever-this-animal-is-called can't help the superhero he's with?" I asked him.

"Oh, he still has all of his natural animal instincts," Biscuit explained. "So anything he can do in the wild, he can do to his enemies."

I love kids' imaginations. I hate that most adults lose theirs along the way.


Popcorn and a movie: Biscuit and I were watching a movie one afternoon, and I made us popcorn to eat while we watched.

About halfway through the movie, Biscuit said, "I've got something stuck in my teeth."

"I do, too, dude," I said. "It must be hulls from our popcorn."

I went into the bathroom to get some dental floss and saw a sample pack of fruit-flavored dental floss picks. I grabbed two of them and took them back into the living room.

I'm not sure what flavor mine was, but I didn't like it at all.

"I don’t like the flavor," I said to Biscuit.

He smacked his lips together and said, "That’s odd. I quite enjoy it.”


A very old man: I can't remember exactly how the conversation started, but Biscuit and I were talking about things that could get people upset or bothered.

I told Biscuit, "It's like Dad always says, 'We don't judge people by the group. We take people one at a time. If you like somebody, play with them. If you don't, don't. But don't make that decision by how someone is dressed or what their skin color is or how much money you think they have.'"

Biscuit thought about it for a minute, then he said, "Something like that could cause quite a tussle!"

He's 9 going on 74!

No comments: