Wednesday, May 2, 2018

I don't like pasta

Since I skipped such a long time writing in 2017, I can't remember whether I wrote about certain things or not. I haven't been as careful as I should've been about adding keywords and things that made it easier to search.

So if I've told you this story before, excuse the repetition.

Biscuit was a fan of pasta when he was little. The baby food people made these little pasta wheels that were the perfect size for him when he started using a spoon. Then for some reason, he stopped like it.

How could anyone not like pasta? You can make it as bland or fancy as you want.

So one evening for dinner, I made spaghetti and meatballs. Biscuit came into the kitchen just as I was adding the pasta to the sauce.

"Whoa!" he said. "I love spaghetti and meatballs!"

"Since when?" I asked him.

"Since forever," he said.

Apparently, he had eaten it at Grandmama's house and a friend's house and had told them that I never made spaghetti and meatballs.

But you know what I HAD been making? 

Penne pasta with meat sauce.

Basically the same thing as spaghetti and meatballs, but he didn't like it.

Biscuit wants to learn to cook, so we've been working on some dishes. So I thought that if I let him pick the pasta and got jar sauce, he could handle it himself.

So we were standing in the grocery store, and I said, "Okay, I want you to pick out what pasta we're going to use for dinner."

"Um, I don't think I want pasta, Mom," Biscuit said. "Can we have spaghetti instead?"

I squinted at him while I tried to figure him out.

And then I felt like a terrible cooking teacher (and mother) because the child didn't understand that spaghetti IS pasta.

So once I explained to him that everything in that whole section was pasta, he was all excited about looking at all the shapes.

Now, his favorite is bowtie (farfalle) pasta with red sauce and meatballs.

No comments: