Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Getting behind the wheel

Most people would be shocked to know how soon my brother and I were driving — the tractor, my parents' cars (only from our house to Granny's, which was even farther into the woods than us), the dune buggy and whatever else we could get our hands on.

A funny aside: My brother and I both learned to drive stick shift before automatic. I remember getting into an automatic for the first time and asking Daddy, "Where the clutch?"

Anyway, Daddy made this dune buggy when I was little. It's an old VW bug. And now, my brother's kids (two of whom are shown here) are driving it, and Biscuit is on deck.


But first, he has to start on something smaller. 

Biscuit hasn't liked loud noises since he was born. He really hated velcro when he was a baby. Sometimes Jeff and I would rip a piece of velcro apart near him. He would make this funny shiver. I know it was mean, but it made us laugh.

So Biscuit is wearing ear protection.


Papa left the grass a little higher than usual, then went back and close-cut a curvy track for Biscuit to follow.


I'm glad Biscuit will have these kinds of memories. And hopefully, when it's time for him to get his driving permit, he'll have a good bit of experience under his belt.

No comments: