Thursday, April 9, 2015

Hangin' with the cousins

A few things Biscuit has said recently:

Biscuit has always been close with my brother's kids. And each of the three of them has a different kind of relationship with him.

My oldest niece, who is 16, seems to always be amazed at what Biscuit knows. She's always asking him questions and talking to him. She doesn't remember how smart she was when she was his age!

My youngest niece, who is 12 (she'll be 13 in June), has always treated him like a real-live baby doll. When he was little, she wanted to carry him and play with him. She just loved his baby years. She's struggled a bit as he's grown up more, but she still loves to play with him.

My nephew, who turned 11 on Wednesday, is probably closest to Biscuit. They play boy stuff. Although sometimes we have to remind my nephew that Biscuit is still little! We also have to remind him that Biscuit looks up to him, so he needs to be very careful about the things he says and the decisions he makes around Biscuit. He's a good kid, though, so there's not too much to worry about there.

But it's been fun hearing stories about them hanging out this week.

The other day, my oldest niece started asking Biscuit questions about the presidents. I think she was a little taken aback at how much he could tell her. She doesn't know that his teacher at school LOVES presidents and has shared a lot of facts with them. And because Biscuit knows that Jeff loves presidents, too, he's retained a lot of that information to share with Jeff.

She asked him who the first president was and who the current president is. Then she asked him what number the current president is, but he couldn't remember.

One of them was talking about Black History Month, and Biscuit started telling them everything he learned about it. His teacher did a whole lesson plan on it in February. I'll have to share more about what he learned later, but he was able to tell the kids who MLK Jr. and Rosa Parks were.

Biscuit wanted my nephew to go outside to play, but my nephew told him that he had to do his homework.

Biscuit realized that the sooner my nephew was done with homework, the sooner they could go outside.

"Oh, then I'll just help you do your homework, then we can go outside," Biscuit said.

My nephew was very sweet and let Biscuit help. He had to write his vocabulary words three times each, so he let Biscuit spell them out to him the first time.

Since Biscuit doesn't have any siblings, I'm glad he's got a close relationship with his cousins.

No comments: