Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Report from Grandmama's

I've been talking to Biscuit every morning since he's been gone.

I get his report of how things are going, then I get Grandmama's report of how things are going.

The first morning he was there, Biscuit asked Grandmama if she knew how to make pancakes. That's like asking Rembrandt if he knows how to make paintings. So Biscuit got scratch pancakes for breakfast.

After breakfast, they played, then since my brother's kids were out of school Monday, Grandmama told Biscuit he needed to take an early nap so he could go play with my nieces and nephew. He balked at that idea, but once Grandmama told him they were going to a jump place, he laid down and was soon fast asleep.

My nephew called Grandmama's house to see what time they were leaving for their outing. My nephew and Biscuit talked on the phone for a little while.

"What are you doing?" Biscuit asked his cousin.

"Watching TV. What are you doing?" my nephew asked Biscuit.

"Grandmama and Papa only have one TV, and Papa is watching a show. So I can't watch anything," Biscuit said.

Then he set the phone down on the floor and walked over to Grandmama.

"Grandmama, can you call my mom and ask her to bring my little TV, so I can watch a show?" Biscuit said. Meanwhile, my nephew is still on the phone, calling Biscuit's name.

Biscuit was asking if I would bring the little travel DVD player we have. Needless to say, that was not going to happen. Grandmama lives 2 1/2 hours away from us. And even if she lived closer, not watching TV is not going to kill the boy.

Biscuit finally picked the phone back up and started talking to his cousin again. They decided on a time for their outing. Grandmama took the three youngest grandkids to play on the inflatables at a mall. They played for almost four hours ... FOUR HOURS!!! Then Grandmama and Papa took them all out for dinner.

My nephew didn't realize what a commotion he was going to create, but he suggested they go out for pizza. Big mistake!

Papa is not a big fan of pizza, so they decided to go to a fast food place. Biscuit was not happy. Pizza is his favorite thing to eat, so at the mention of it, he was sold. Then they came back to tell him pizza was out and chicken nuggets were in.

Oh, there was drama.

Biscuit even told Grandmama that he didn't like the chicken nuggets from the restaurant they were going to. There's no way he could even know if he likes the chicken nuggets from there because he had never had them before. It didn't matter. He was giving it his best shot.

Biscuit devoured a four-nugget kid's meal, complete with fries and chocolate milk. My nephew had one nugget left, but he wanted to dip it in ketchup to eat it. So he got up to go get the ketchup. Meanwhile, Biscuit saw a leftover nugget and helped himself. Luckily, my nephew thought it was funny and didn't get mad at him.

It sounds like Biscuit is having a good time. And he reminded me again today that he isn't missing me because he likes Grandmama and Papa, too.

No comments: