Saturday, August 27, 2011

This morning

We all slept late this morning ... and it was GREAT!

When I say "late," I usually mean we slept until 8:30, but this morning, it was 10 a.m. before we were all out of bed.

Biscuit woke up about 4 a.m. having a bad dream. He started yelling, "Mom! MOM! I need you, MOM!" There are few things that will get me out of bed quicker. I don't even remember going from the lying-down position to the standing position. I was just suddenly upright, grabbing for my glasses.

I sat down on the floor by his bed and rubbed his hair and head with my left hand. I laid my head on my right arm. Next thing I know, I was waking up. I think I was only there for about 15 minutes, but my right arm was tingling from being asleep. Little man was sleeping soundly, so I made my way back downstairs. I sort of just fell over into bed and crashed. I didn't wake up again until 9:20. Neither of my boys was making any sounds of getting up, so I just closed my eyes and snuggled under the covers. It sounds like a simple pleasure, but it's not one that I get a lot since having a baby.

Anyway, Biscuit has cracked us up several time this morning.

When I heard him moving around in his room, I headed up the stairs. He was sitting on his bed "reading" a book. "Come in, Mom. I read you a story," Biscuit said. I took the safety gate down and went into his room. "Okay, Mom. You have to sit down and be quiet, and I read you a story." I'm guessing he's heard that more than once at day care.

I looked over and saw that he was flipping through a book about the Nativity. He pointed to Joseph and said, "That's Dad." Then he pointed to Mary and said, "That's you, Mom." Then he pointed to Baby Jesus and said, "That's Baby Griffin."

I asked Jeff, "Does it count as delusions of grandeur if the offender is only 2 years old?"

Biscuit doesn't like me to hold his hand coming down the stairs anymore. He wants to hold onto the spindles in the stair rails as he comes down the steps. It's a slow process, but it's all about independence these days. He had breakfast then headed straight to the living room to play.

And here's a good point to say that my living room used to look nice. Jeff and I took our time picking out stuff we wanted. Okay, actually, I took MY time picking out stuff I wanted to go in there. But now, there are three little kid-sized chairs - one bean bag chair and two rocking chairs. There's a bouncy horse that Biscuit has named Pinto. The bottom shelf of the coffee table is lined with six stacks of kid books. There's a giant blue bucket full of toys. And of course it's overflowing. There's a small yellow table with two blue chairs, where Biscuit sometimes eats, but uses for coloring and drawing the rest of the time. I know that soon enough, I'll get this space back, and most days it doesn't bother me at all. But every once in a while, I miss my nice grown-up space.

Anyway, Biscuit has his alphabet cards scattered across the coffee table in the living room. "Dad, what wetter do you want?" Jeff asked for a D. "Okay, Dad," Biscuit said. "D is coming RIGHT up. It make the d-d-d sound." Biscuit shuffled through his letters and took a D card to Jeff.

Then he came to me. I made my request a little harder. "I would like a little R," I said to him.

"Oh. Wittle R. That make the r-r-r sound," Biscuit said. "Wittle R is coming RIGHT up." Then he handed me a card with a little R on it.

In addition to practicing our alphabet, it's been a musical morning. Biscuit has gone back and forth between banging on his snare drum and playing his "rock n roll guitar." It's an electronic guitar with a bunch of buttons that play recorded guitar riffs. It's pretty obnoxious. Jeff found a secret volume button, so it's less obnoxious now than it used to be.

I really enjoy times when the three of us can just hang out together with nothing on the agenda.

No comments: