Sunday, August 21, 2011

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has been saying lately:

Gratitude: Biscuit is pretty good with his manners. He says excuse me, please and thank you, often without prompting. But lately, "thank you" has become "thanks." It sounds very grown-up. Plus, he holds the "s" just a little longer than he should, sort of like, "Thanksss."

Alphabet: Biscuit has some alphabet cards that have letters on one side and animals or objects that start with that letter on the back side. They were strewn all over the living room floor yesterday, and I told him we needed to pick them up. "You help me, Mom?" he asked. I told him I would and figured I might as well help him practice his letters at the same time.

"Can you give me an 'M' card?" I asked him. And he did. "Can you give me an 'S' card?" And he did. The last card was on the object side instead of the letter side.

"Can you give me an egg card?" I asked.

"This is an egg, probably, Mom," Biscuit said. "It's probably an egg."

It's funny to me how he latches on to new words and tries to use them a lot ... probably.

More alphabet: "This is the letter arrrrrrrrr, wike a pirate," Biscuit said as we read an alphabet book he has.


And as a side note, what kind of alphabet book has a question mark and a quail for Q, an insect (a grasshopper) for I and a vampire for V?!? Also, there's a unicorn on the U page, but it has a horn AND wings. Shouldn't a winged horse be under P for Pegasus? I guess that's what you get when you frequent the dollar store for kid books.

Repeat after me: One of the TV shows Biscuit likes will name an object or an animal, then they'll tell the kids to yell when the see that animal or object. The screen then pans to the right until the animal or object is spotted.

Well, Biscuit will often put that into practice in real life. He was playing at his train table the other day and said, "When you see a train and a loader, yell 'TRAIN and LOADER!'" (or train and woader, as he says it) He looked all around his table pretending not to see the train and loader that were right in front of him. Then all of a sudden, he yelled, "TRAIN AND WOADER!!!"


What did he say?!?: Biscuit likes taking the teacher role, where he holds up a crayon and asks, "Okay, Mom, what color is this?" or "What letter says m-m-m?" The other night, he was quizzing a friend at a restaurant. When he got to R, I said, "Can you tell her some words that start with R?"

"Hmm. Race cars, rainbow, rocket and rhombus," he said.

"And what does a rhombus look like?" I asked him.

"Um, a kite," Biscuit answered.

My friend and I exchange looks and she said, "Dude, that's crazy!" To which I replied with wide eyes, "I KNOW! And he says stuff like that ALL the time!"

It amazes me how much they learn at this age. Sometimes it seems like he's a tape recorder, and someone has hit rewind and play, and he just spouts out all this stuff he's learned. I hope his brain stays that open for a long, long time.

No comments: