Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A blessing ... sort of

A post from The Daddy Man:

Kimmy made a nice spaghetti dinner for us last night, then she had to run out to a class. Just as I dished up plates for Biscuit and me, he decided he didn't want spaghetti for dinner. Normally, we wouldn't give in to that, but from what Kimmy told me, he's had a rough couple of days.

I asked him what he wanted, and he said, "I want peanut butter and jelly sandwich." That's an easy fix, so I gave him the sandwich and some peaches. He was pretty excited about the sandwich, but he was just thrilled with the surprise of the peaches.

I figured we'd watch TV while we were eating, so I set him up at his table in the living room, then told him to say the blessing for the food. As most toddlers do, Biscuit was trying to figure out a way not to do what I was telling him to do.

"Biscuit. Say the blessing," I said to him with my voice a little more stern.

Finally, he started saying it. But just to do it on his own terms, he combined the blessing with his peaches.

It went like this: Bless (eat a peach) this (eat a peach) food (eat a peach) for (eat a peach) our (eat a peach) good (eat a peach). Amen (eat a peach).

No comments: