Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Out of the mouth of my babe

I love to hear Biscuit talk. Sometimes I'm amazed by what comes out of his mouth, and sometimes what he says is just so funny I have a hard time not laughing.

Here are a few of the latest:


Geesen: This word is the plural of geese. You have your ox, your oxen and your oxens. And Biscuit has his goose, his geesen and his geesens.


Rough day: One of Biscuit's former teachers recognized that Biscuit was having a bad day.

The teacher said, "Are you being a good boy today?"

Biscuit nodded his head yes for a few seconds, then burst into tears and said, "Nooooooooo. Not good boy."

Thankfully, she grabbed him up and hugged him until he was better.


Father-son conversation:

Biscuit: Dad, can we change my diaper? I need a new diaper.

Jeff: Sure we can. Let's go.

The diaper change commenced.

Biscuit: Dad, I don't have poo anymore.

Jeff: Nope. The poo is all gone.

Biscuit: Good job, Dad. High-five.

And I heard a slapping sound.


Books:
Biscuit is still crazy about books. We read to him ... a lot. So much so that as we were walking into the store this evening to get diapers, I was reciting a book to him.

"In the jingle, jangle jungle, on a cold and rainy day, four little friends found a warm place to play ..."

Lately, though, instead of asking us to read to him, he asks, "Dad, you help me read book?"


A second: It's funny how Biscuit picks up turns of phrase. One of his latest is "a second."

As in "Come here a second, Mom" or "I'll be back in just a second, Mom" or "I'll take a bath in just a second, Mom."



Pronunciation: "Biscuit, who are your friends at day care," I asked on our way there one morning.

Biscuit said, "Well, um, let's see, my fends are Dawus, Sophia and Mickanus."

"Darius, Sophia and who?" I asked.

"Mickanus," he said, trying to enunciate it very plainly.

I couldn't figure out who he was talking about until we got to day care, and I scanned down the names on the cubbyholes. Some of the kids have their pictures on their cubbies, so I asked Biscuit to tell me who the kids were. He named Darius and Sophia and then we got to "Mickanus."

Mickanus = Nicholas.

But what really made me laugh was that as I was getting ready this morning, I grabbed a necklace to put on.

"What you doing, Mom?" Biscuit asked.

"I'm putting on a necklace," I told him.

"A meckanus?" he asked.

I thought if he was looking at me as I said it, he might be able to say it correctly.

"Hey, Biscuit. Look at me. N-n-necklace," I said.

"M-m-meckanus," Biscuit said.

I considered trying again but had second thoughts, "Good job, Biscuit," I said.

No comments: