Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Knock, knock. Who's there?

At first, I thought Biscuit had learned some knock-knock jokes, but he never gave anyone else a chance to jump in.

He'll walk up to you and say, "Knock, knock. Who's there? It's Griffin."

Then he put it together that you say the whole knock-knock thing when you're knocking on a door. And if you think about it, what's the one door in your house that you close several times a day.

Yep, the bathroom door.

Now, I blame a friend of mine for what he figured out next. She wrote about how her daughter had locked herself in her room and couldn't get out. First of all, I felt so bad for her because that had to be the most helpless feeling. She got her daughter out, and everything was fine, but all I could think was that I was glad Biscuit hadn't figured out door knobs yet.

And guess what happened that evening?

I was in the bathroom, and I heard a rap-tap-tapping on the door.

"Knock, knock. Who's dare? Giffin," Biscuit said.

"Mama's using the bathroom. I'll be out in a minute," I said to him.

And then ... the door knob starting turning!

Yep. He just opened the door and came right in. He rested one hand on each of my knees and said, "What doin', Mom?"

I don't care to get into the specifics of the rest of our conversation that evening, but I can tell you that we've begun the conversation about privacy. We'll see how it goes from here.

No comments: