Friday, March 18, 2011

Earth baby

My tree-hugging friend was with Biscuit and me at the playground yesterday. She got the opportunity to make fun of me as I got a little choked up about how independent Biscuit was and how he didn't need me there at all.

But I got my revenge.

As we were leaving to go to dinner, Biscuit said, "I see trees, Mama."

My friend said, "Yeah, the trees are pretty, but they help us, too. Trees help make air for us to breathe."

"Trees make air," Biscuit said.

"That's right," my friend said. "So next time you take a deep breath, you can say, 'Thank you, trees.'"

To which Biscuit replied, "Trees make world."

I can't do justice in describing the look on her face when he said that. But I swear, I thought she was about to cry.

"Did you hear what he said? He said, 'Trees make world.' Did you hear him?" she asked.

"Um, yes, I heard him."

"But how did he know to say that? Did he figure that out on his own? He loves the Earth," she said.

Who knew I was raising a mini tree-hugger?

1 comment:

Her Hollyness said...

dude. i'm still reeling from it. it was so sweet, and so beautiful, and i just love that kid!

and i would like to point out that i made fun of you *with love* for being teary over his independence. you may recall that it was very soon thereafter that i pouted b/c neither he nor jake wanted to walk with me from the restaurant to the parking lot! (: