Friday, June 1, 2018

More music lessons

After Biscuit spent Spring Break at my parents house, he came home and asked about taking guitar lessons. My brother and daddy play guitars and sing with Biscuit when he's there. So I think he decided that he'd like to be able to play for himself to sing.




It just so happens that his piano teacher also teaches guitar. I sent him a heads-up text to let him know that Biscuit was going to ask about guitar lessons. And of course, the teacher's first concern was that Biscuit wanted to quit piano.

I assured him that was not the case and asked if there was a way he could do both. I was worried about cost and the amount of time he'd spend in lessons and practicing at home.

So we threw around some ideas and decided that we would increase his lessons from 45 minutes to 1 hour — 30 minutes on piano and 30 minutes on guitar.

He's been at it for three weeks now, and he seems to be enjoying it.

I was worried about Biscuit's little fingers. Guitar strings are really rough. They're metal and leave grooves in your fingers that are quite painful. And eventually, you build up calluses. 

I read a crazy story one time about rock guitarist. He was onstage when one of his finger calluses peeled off. He stepped off stage, put it back on with super glue, went back onstage and finished the concert. Told you it was crazy!

My brother gave Biscuit a small guitar for Christmas a couple of years ago. But we didn't realize quite how much Biscuit has grown since then. The guitar was too small for him.

Luckily, Biscuit's teacher recommended an extremely affordable 3/4 size guitar with nylon strings. As soon as I saw it, I knew it would be an easy way for Biscuit to start.

I got a Y-shaped guitar hanger, and Jeff hung Biscuit's tiny guitar on his bedroom wall as a decoration. And he's really enjoying his new, bigger guitar.

Here's Biscuit during practice:



No comments: